Thursday, August 16, 2012

Our baseline



"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomforts, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways, or truer answers."
M. Scott Peck, M.D.


Usually I use scripture as a reference but this quote has been in my heart for about 6 years now. I dont think I would use the words unhappy or unfulfilled...but definitly uncomfortable. There have been some big truths that the Lord has brought to the surface lately about us as a family. Where we spend our resources and how we run this family. We are in a constant circle of abundance, no plans and then debt. And the Lord has put something big on my heart this past week...



We need to be more intentional.



We need to be more intentional with our money. We need to have a plan. And we need to understand the seasons of trimming the fat and buckling up when times are tough. We are not immune from emergencies or car problems and having a plan for these events definitely takes the burden off when they occur This is where we are. We live a life full of abundance compared to most societies...even though we sacrifice alot for me to stay home with our children. But my heart is in the right spot. I am ready to do whatever it takes for my family so that we can live free and out of bondage. We are ready to be off our plan and into Gods.

I want to highlight areas where we are good, and where we need to work harder. I believe that this could be a positive place for anyone to start when they reach a point of wanting to get out of the nasty cycle of debt or just be prepared for lifes events that aren't part of our everyday plan!


where we are good
(lets start with the positive!)

I shop for our girls clothing at thrift stores
and we only wear simple clothing.
(no brands)
we don't go out to eat, ever.
we pack our lunches
I color my own hair, do my own pedicures
we make our own coffee drinks and smoothies
we take advantage of free entertainment.
(military events, free tickets, playgrounds, city parks, our friends backyards)
we use redbox
we buy all used furniture off of craigslist and yard sales
we buy all used baby items including toys


where we need to work harder

our grocery budget
we don't use coupons
we don't tithe while we are in debt
we don't have any savings
I have a hard time saying no to my girls
we are sometimes impulsive on small items that add up 
(can happen with no plan)
we don't have an emergency fund for car or home issues
we don't contribute to a retirement plan
we don't have a plan
we don't have a plan
we don't have a plan

So here we are. In a place of wanting to make a change. Desperately reaching out for better ways to do things. We are tired of not being intentional and being in bondage over our finances. If I could fast forward to our future, my goal would be to have no more credit card debt and some savings. I would like to see my business grow so that we can be more of a giving family than one who is tied to their own debt. We would like to have some sort of plan for retirement and be intentional in putting money into savings. But really the most important thing for me is that we can learn to be more responsible and intentional so that we can be good stewards with what the Lord has blessed us with. And I feel so blessed. I feel like even in our tightest of seasons we live in such abundance. Its amazing to look back on the past 7 years of marriage and see how faithful God has been to us in being our provider, even when we have made mistakes.

We are ready to make some changes.







No comments:

Post a Comment

whats on your heart?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...