Tuesday, January 24, 2012

God cares about the smaller things too...

I know what its like to hear scripture and just not know what to do with it. Sometimes I cant even fathom how it could apply to my own life. I have read the bible, gone to church, done bible studies and still scripture has never really made sense to me until I actually LIVED it.

This move was a huge challenge for me. It was the first time I decided to not even for one second let Satan in my head or allow myself to speak anything but Gods promises over every single thing that happened. I have been known in the past to be somewhat of hot mess. Crazy over money, where it is and how to get more...bills and how to pay them. New houses and where to find them....how to eat allergy free on the road...how to keep my breast milk supply up while driving a car 1,200 miles with two children in the back. The list goes on and on and I know you can relate!

We found our house. We lived in our house for about a week before our things arrived so I had no cooking to do or laundry etc...I guess we didn't realize there was a hot water problem. But slowly as our stuff started to make way back in our lives I noticed the water wasn't getting hot enough or lasting long enough. And by the last day before I called our property manager, we had no hot water. I couldn't do dishes or take a full shower and it was very frustrating. I have TMJ dysfunction and my first go to for pain relief is a HOT shower full of prayer. Hot water is really my only request when it comes to a house and this one didn't have it. I began to pray and at night and the first thing that came to me was Philippians 4:19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of His glory in Jesus Christ.

Now this is where I decided to take a different approach to prayer and get my mind right. See God doesn't promise us things and then put a * under it or a footnote.

Philippians 4:19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of His glory in Jesus Christ. * only if it seems important to me and its big enough and not too much of a hassle love, God.

So with that being said I accepted what the bible says and my prayers turned into gratitude! God THANK YOU for promising that you will meet ALL my needs today! I know that you know that I am hurting and need some relief and honestly I know that you know that I love my hot water! Thank you for fixing this small problem for me this week so I can bathe my babies and we can enjoy our baths and showers again!

The plumber came the next day and fixed a heating element. Upon looking in the heater he noticed that the 90 gallon heater was half full of sediment. Literally a huge block of sediment that was turning our huge tank into a 40 gallon tank. But he assured us that the new heating element would work and we would be back in business. But he did say that this water heater was on its last few years and would need to be replaced sooner than later.

That night I went to shower and bathe my babies and we only had enough water for 8 minutes. And it didn't even get hot. I came downstairs feeling very defeated. How in the world was this ever going to get fixed? We all know how long it takes to get someone on it from a property management company! This could take another week. My head was hurting and I was done with cold showers. I didn't even know how to get ahold of the plumber!

I repeated to myself, God will meet all my needs. ALL. All doesn't mean some or just the important ones. I believe in His promise and I know He will take care of this for me!

Well wouldn't you know, my phone rang. 8:30 at night. It was the plumber. Really? Who calls at 8:30 first of all and second, the timing was just weird in an awesome God kinda way. He was just calling to see how it was going and if everything was working. He said he was just writing up his report and going to turn it in but since the water still wasnt hot he would go ahead and tell them we needed a brand new one! Music to my ears. He called right in time.

The water heater got replaced and we had another moment where we STILL didn't get hot water. Turns out the temperature just needed to be adjusted but that gave me yet another opportunity to wait in awe of God. One of the moments I had been practicing for.I was learning how to remain calm when things seemed off or just a mess. Waiting for God to work things for me and meet my needs. My small little need of hot water in a world where people don't have water at all. In a world where people suffer and most days I feel horribly guilty for even asking God for something as small as hot water. Or a full gas tank or something healthy on the table. Just like He is meeting peoples needs in big ways, He meets them in small ways. There is nothing ever too small to bring to God.

He wants to talk to you today about what you need. He wants to know that you understand that His Will might end up different than what you imagined your life to be but He has a HUGE plan to give you more and more and bigger and better, just go to Him. Find your peace in Him today that He is working not only the big things, but the small things too. The most important lesson that I learned here during this move is that God already knew all the challenges in front of me, an entire life full of them. He knew that water heater was not going to work. And He knew that I needed a set of challenges to learn this lesson. What God wants from you is an attitude of praise and worship even when things are difficult. See, God is so big that He has the last word on everything. He can take a huge obstacle from right underneath you, He just wants to know that YOU know that. YOU believe that. YOU claim that in your life.

Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

whats on your heart?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...